Do I have to wear retainers for the rest of my life?
Cost of retainers
How to clean my plastic retainers?
So here is my routine for cleaning and inserting my retainers:
- Brush your teeth using an electric toothbrush using a standard toothpaste.
- Once complete, floss and follow up with a non-alcohol based mouthwash.
- (Optional): I then use a baking soda based toothpaste (e.g. Eucryl or Arm & Hammer) but you can use your general toothpaste.
- Simply brush your teeth again lightly moving your brush in circular movements around all your teeth. At this point you do not rinse your mouth out.
- Using a brush and a little dot of the same toothpaste, pick up your retainers and generally clean them. Rinse them under the cold water tap and place in your mouth.
- After you wake in the morning, remove the retainer, rinse under cold water and place into a cup or container. Thoroughly brush your teeth, floss and use a gentle mouthwash. Moving back to the retainer container, pop in some cold water and a Steradent tablet. Yes, the same type your nan uses for her false teeth. Leave the retainers to soak in the cold mixture for the rest of the day and rinse and brush again before wear.