Sunday 3 March 2013

Adult Braces


APPEARANCE 

Being a 20-23 year old with braces was not one of the easiest things I had to adjust to. I was already very self-conscious and worried that wearing braces would make me look younger than I was. Unfortunately, this fear of the braces was correct. I was ID-ed everywhere I went and was even asked for my ID when purchasing cigarettes for a friend (age limit 16 at the time) and again another time to purchase child’s Nurofen. In terms of work, I did find new people approached me differently and would say I was cute and looked much younger than I actually was. In some ways this was not a negative thing, but I did feel at certain points undermined or brushed off by people who did not know my capabilities or experience. However, this should not be misconstrued, as these people may have undermined me or treated me like a child regardless of the braces. 

My boyfriend at the time was completely fine with the braces and was understanding of my insecurities. On a general basis, no one really commented on the braces and it was my own insecurities that made this a difficult and emotional time in my life. Please see below a few ideas I found useful whilst having braces that did not make me feel so self-conscious about them.

  • More natural toned make up
  • No bright blusher
  • No bright lip stick. I tended to used Vaseline on my lips
  • I would draw attention to my upper face by using eye shadow and mascara
  • For my long face shape, I found wearing my hair down diverted some attention from my face and
  • braces
  •  I did not wear high neck lines or turtle neck tops. I found this to better proportion my face and ensure
  • that the braces did not look so striking
  • Do not have coloured elastics for the brace work. Keep to clear elastics

Before and after braces adult braces adult with braces

before and after orthognathic surgery steffie smile adult braces


Adult with braces adult braces and post orthognathic surgery after surgery


I hope you enjoyed reading this article and find the information useful whilst undertaking
orthodontic treatment. If you would like any more information on braces, jaw surgery,
orthognathic surgery or facial pain do not hesitate to drop me a message on my Facebook
page: www.facebook.com/steffiesstuff or alternatively you add me on Twitter
www.twitter.com/jawandface  I look forward to hearing from you.

Available now



CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR SURVIVAL PACK NOW


To find out more click on the link below:


If you would like to be kept informed about the latest work I am undertaking and want to receive more content from the Jaw & Face charity project, you can subscribe for FREE on the link below. 

You can now continue the chat and speak with other patients on my new closed Facebook group:


Looking forward to connecting with you soon!

Lots of love always,

Steffie


x.x.x

No comments:

Post a Comment