Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Drama of Medication after the Operation

For the first day after surgery I was on a mixture of IV’s for fluids, pain relief and antibiotics. I was on morphine and then codeine and Paracetamol drip.

By day two, they wanted to move me from the drip medication to liquid medication. They still allowed for my antibiotics to be given through IV but requested that I use syringes to take the rest of my medication. When I first had my pain, I had tried Diclofenac and it had made me light headed and sick. I was given a cup with a pink substance in and I could smell it did not seem to be Paracetamol or codeine. I questioned it before taking any and it was in fact Diclofenac. I was not supposed to be taking that after my asthma attack the day before. So be careful what you take when you eventually get to liquid medication. As you are in hospital the nurses tend to fill the cups up with water and by syringe it takes ages. Once I was home I limited the amount of water I used to dissolve the medicine in. I just had to ensure the medicine was fully dissolved before attempting to syringe it into my mouth. Do not be upset that you cannot drink out of a cup and are requiring syringes. This is completely normal as most people are still adjusting to the numbness, swelling and new face positioning.

Liquid medication took ages and because it tastes so disgusting, I had to keep alternating with water syringes to take the bad taste away from my mouth. I did heave a couple of times which is quite scary when you cannot open your mouth. I cried a few times trying to take this nasty medicine and questioned what had I let myself in for. Mum had bought me an orange squash drink from the canteen to see if that might be a refreshing change for me. However, I found the orange made my scars hurt inside my mouth and it stung a lot even though it was watered down. For the first 3 days I stuck to a diet of pure water.

By late in day two they had taken all my monitors off, but I needed suctioning off because the bite plate was causing me to have excess saliva. The nurses were happy my mum was there to help me, as this meant they could attend to other matters whilst mum helped me with the medicine, bathing and drinking. By 5 o’clock the registrar came to assess me again and removed the bite plates. I moaned a bit as it was painful but I do not remember crying. I closed my eyes and hoped for it to be over quickly. When he removed the metal work he asked me if I would like to see the bite plate and I said no. On reflection now, I should have asked to keep it as it would be a good thing to show other people what a bite plate is and how it is attached to your braces after surgery. 

Day two photos

orthognathic surgery blog 2013 recovery jaw surgery double jaw surgery corrective jaw surgery jaw pain swelling underbite to overbite braces risks complications with jaw surgery

orthognathic surgery blog 2013 recovery jaw surgery double jaw surgery corrective jaw surgery jaw pain swelling underbite to overbite braces risks complications with jaw surgery
 Liquid medication at home
orthognathic surgery blog 2013 recovery jaw surgery double jaw surgery corrective jaw surgery jaw pain swelling underbite to overbite braces risks complications with jaw surgery

Available now




To find out more click on the link below:


If you would like to be kept informed about the latest work I am undertaking and want to receive more content from the Jaw & Face charity project, you can subscribe for FREE on the link below. 

Additional to this, if you have not already, please join me on my Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and google+ accounts. Stay tuned for more useful booklets and YouTube videos coming soon.

https://plus.google.com/111823607859242972203

You can now continue the chat and speak with other patients on my new closed Facebook group:


Looking forward to connecting with you soon!

Lots of love always,

Steffie

x.x.x


No comments:

Post a Comment